The Gorge Waterway Action Society (GWAS) was able to hire two summer students for the summer of 2016 thanks to funding from the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
Tiffany Robinson - Public Outreach Technician/Restoration Technican
Tiffany is a graduate of the University of Victoria with a double major in Geography and Environmental Studies with a concentration in Environmental Sustainability.
Over the summer of 2016, Tiffany assisted the Gorge Waterway Action Society in coordinating restoration events, revitalizing the Gorge Waterway Nature House, managing volunteers, and working on collaborative restoration projects with other local ENGO's. In the fall, Tiffany returned to the UVIC to complete her diploma in the Restoration of Natural Systems. Tiffany will stay on with Gorge Waterway Action Society in a volunteer capacity, as the Volunteer Coordinator, Restoration Technician, and board member.
Jillian Martin - Marketing and Outreach Coordinator
Jillian graduated with from the University of Toronto with a double major in Environmental Studies and History. She continues to study at Camosun College to pursue a diploma in Environmental Technology.
In 2016, Jillian focused on revitalizing the Nature House, and improving the online presence of GWAS & the Nature House. She will continue with GWAS, in a volunteer capacity, as the Outreach Coordinator and the Board Secretary.
Projects Completed by Summer Students in 2016
- Operating the Gorge Waterway Nature House, which was open everyday in the summer of 2016;
- Reorganized, and re-designed displays in the Nature House;
- Organized a volunteer invasive species removal event;
- Removal of invasive species in Kinsmen Gorge Park including, English Ivy (Hedera Helix), Himalayan Blackberry (Rubus armeniacus), Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea);
- Monitoring and sectioned removal of native parasitic species Salt Marsh Dodder (Cuscuta Salina)
- Assisted the World Fisheries Trust with Nature House children's programs, as well as beach programs throughout Victoria;
- Tracked and reported on Nature House visitor attendance throughout the summer;
- Ran Silent Auction Events inside the Nature House;
- Redesigned the GWAS Website;
- Created and managed the Gorge Waterway Nature House Facebook Page;
- Created newsletters and promotional handouts for GWAS and the Nature House;
- Worked on collaborative projects with local ENGO's such as World Fisheries Trust, SeaChange, Oceans Network Canada, and the Habitat Acquisition Trust.